Originally constructed in 1910 the Hattiesburg train depot was built as a passenger station in the neoclassical style featuring a passenger canopy that extended over 900 feet along the rail. Over the ensuing 80 years, the station fell into disrepair and was eventually purchased by the city of Hattiesburg in 2000 for complete restoration and renovation. The new program would allow the station to be utilized in several different capacities including providing space for public amenities, future tenant space, and offices for national and local bus lines. Historic features such as the passenger canopy and the fish pond, rebuilt as a fountain, were also rebuilt in the restoration. The station was completed in 2007.