The E. 6th Street USO was originally constructed in 1942 as part of a major federally funded construction project that involved the erection of over three-hundred similar structures. Upon the decommissioning of the Federal Recreation Buildings over time, the E. 6th Street USO became the African-American community center. During its second life, it served as not only a recreational facility, but as a public library. In the late 1990’s, a civil servant, , Mrs. Lola Williams, convinced the city to purchase the building for the purpose of housing a local collection of African-American military history artifacts and memorabilia. Consequently, the African American Military History Museum Board was established bringing several local high ranking military officers and other members of the local community aboard for the development of the new museum.