The Camp Shelby “White House” was originally built in 1936 at Camp B. F. McClellan, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp located near Biloxi, Mississippi. The building was moved to Camp Shelby in 1937 by the Works Public Administration (WPA). The White House was brown until it was moved to Camp Shelby and painted white. During the Second World War, the building was used as the post headquarters and commanding general's quarters. Camp Shelby was closed and dismantled after the Second World War, but the White House and a few other structures remained in tact. In 1956, Camp Shelby was reopened as a National Guard training post. The White House was used as quarters for the post commanders in the early years and was later designated as quarters for The Adjutant General of Mississippi.